WHAT IS BLUEGRASS MUSIC?
Bluegrass is a unique sound. Bluegrass is like many other forms of music which come out straight from the hearts of the musicians. Bluegrass, in music, originated from the United States after World War 2. It is distinguished from the older string-band music by its higher off-beat rhythm. It also has a higher-pitched lead vocal while also deriving a strong influence of jazz.
It differs from other varieties of country and western music in its driving rhythms and its repertory. It has widespread use in traditional square- dance tunes, traditional religious songs, and ballads. Today we have come up with our list of best bluegrass guitars for you, so keep reading.
You might like: Best Electric Guitar for small hands Best 12 String Guitars Best Wide Neck Acoustic Guitars Best Toddler Guitars Best Fingerstyle Guitars
TOP 3 Best Bluegrass Guitars
The Taylor 214ce is a great companion as a bluegrass guitar, regardless of one’s mood.
Taylor 214ce is reinforced with the solid- Sitka spruce top; the tonewood standard of the modern era. Sitka, the most commonly used wood for guitar tops is used in this. It is the reason why this generates a broad dynamic range and accommodates numerous playing styles, from aggressive strumming to fingerpicking.
Taylor’s signature shape embodies the ultimate all-purpose acoustic. The soundboard choice for most guitars, Sitka spruce produces a broad dynamic range and accommodates a versatile range of playing styles. Koa veneer is part of the resilient layered construction on the GS Mini or the 210ce-K DLX.
Expression System 2 captures more of a guitar’s dynamic properties using a breakthrough behind-the-saddle design. The Venetian cutaway is known for its soft, round lines. The sloping peak of the cutaway will vary depending on the shape of the guitar.
Grand Auditorium Shape – The most versatile and popular of Taylor’s guitar shapes. Its well-defined midrange contributes to a clear and balanced tone. It’s responsive enough for fingerstyle players and powerful enough for pickers and strummers to get a lively response.
- Shape: Grand Auditorium
- Number of Strings: 6 Back/Side
- Wood: Layered Rosewood
- Scale length: 25-1/2″, Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
- Body Length: 20″ Electronics: Expression System
- Body Width: 16″, Cutaway: Venetian , Body Depth: 4-5/8″
- Nut and Saddle: NuBone, Nut/Tusq Saddle Neck Width: 1-11/16″
- Neck/Heel: Sapele, Bracing: Forward Shifted Pattern
- Fretboard Wood: Ebony Fretboard Inlay: Small Diamonds
Headstock Overlay: Indian Rosewood Binding:”
- Number of Strings: 6
- Back/Side Wood: Layered Rosewood
- “Scale length: 25-1/2”
- Top Wood: Sitka Spruce
IMPORTANT FEATURES –
- Body shape – Grand Auditorium – Taylor’s signature shape embodies the ultimate all-purpose acoustic.
- Top wood – Sitka Spruce – This is the soundboard choice for most guitars, Sitka spruce produces a broad dynamic range and accommodates a versatile range of playing styles.
- Electronics – Expression System 2 – The Expression System 2 encapsulates more of a guitar’s dynamic properties and it uses it’s breakthrough behind-the-saddle design.
- Cutaway – Venetian Cutaway – The Venetian cutaway is known for its soft, round lines. The sloping peak of the cutaway will vary depending on the shape of the guitar.
Considering the 214ce’s excellent build and tonal quality, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better instrument for the same price. It possesses a lot of qualities, numbering versatility, playability, and durability. It is, perhaps, a bit more expensive than it might look, but looks can, and in this case, are deceiving, for the 214ce is worth its salt. This is our #1 choice when it comes to guitars for bluegrass.
Another big name when it comes to guitars is “Martin”! There are many learners who desire to own this brand someday, and it is indeed a great feeling to walk out of the store with your first Martin guitar.
Martin, like a lot of big names, puts the same amount of care and perfection in all of their guitars. Martin Acoustic guitars are among the more expensive guitars and are highly respected by many professional guitarists.
Of late, this company have also started making less expensive models, aimed at intermediate & beginner guitar players. Top-class professional artists use this brand.
Martin D-28 has amazed legendary artists since its release. And, though it has gone through several modifications and upgrades, it still has that booming sound loved by Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and a lot more. Playing a D-28 isn’t just playing an outstanding guitar, but also playing a piece of America’s musical history.
With the classic American design, D-28 has a Sitka Spruce top with a glossy finish. The polished back and sides are made of special solid East Indian rosewood. The back has the Style 28 with multi-strip inlay. This full-sized dreadnought has a Natural finish just like most of the acoustic guitars.
- Solid East Indian Rosewood is used for the back and sides
- The guitar is capped with a solid piece of select Sitka Spruce for bright, clean highs
IMPORTANT FEATURES –
- Solid East Indian Rosewood is used for the back and sides to provide depth and definition to the sound
- Sitka Spruce top gives crispness, brightness, & clean highs
- The guitar has the classic Martin dreadnought shape
- Features elegant rosette and white binding
- The guitar uses the traditional Martin bracing style for excellent focus of sound
- Handcrafted by Martin master luthiers
- Top quality hard-shell case is included
One can’t judge this guitar just by its looks as it doesn’t seem to have anything special if looked upon from the outside. This is an acoustic guitar, but the buyer will have the option to upgrade to include pickups. However, Martin, as a reputable company with a track record of excellence, won’t offer this guitar with a premium price tag for no reason.
Having a closer look at a D-28 clears all the doubts in the minds of the buyer. Compare this guitar to a cheaper acoustic or even acoustic-electric guitar and one can see a big difference. From the tip of the headstock down to the edges, you’ll see excellent craftsmanship using high-quality materials.
Taylor’s 200 Deluxe Series, which includes this 224ce-K DLX Grand Auditorium acoustic-electric delivers all the essentials of a great guitar – exquisite playability, full and articulate voice, impeccable intonation up the neck, and Taylor’s top-of-the-line, professional-grade pickup – at a price that’s within reach of many.
Like all the guitars in the 200 Series, it creates a great balance between tasteful design constraint and aesthetic variety, bringing Taylor’s signature tonal clarity and playability into a stage-worthy mix of guitar options. The 224ce-K DLX Grand Auditorium acoustic-electric guitar ships in a deluxe hard-shell case made by Taylor for optimal fit and protection.
The Taylor 224ce-K DLX allows players to benefit from the sonic and visual splendor of koa at a more attainable price point. Featuring the Grand Auditorium cutaway body made with an outstanding Hawaiian koa top with layered koa back sides.
The 224ce-K DLX sounds great whether you are strumming chords or playing fingerstyle arrangements, and offers a well-focused voice that’ll warm up beautifully over the years. It includes a hard-shell case.
A Taylor original, the Grand Auditorium helped establish the Taylor acoustic sound. The popular body style makes for a versatile guitar that yields ample volume in response to light fingerpicking and reacts to medium strumming and Flatpicking with a clear, balanced sound across the tonal spectrum. If you want a great all-purpose guitar, the GA is an excellent choice.
What sets Taylor Guitars apart? Unmatched build quality, the most stable and playable necks, a vast array of tonal options, eco-conscious and ethically-sourced raw materials, and a lifetime of service and support.
- Grand Auditorium Body w/Solid Hawaiian Koa Top & Layered Koa Back/Sides
- 25.5″-Scale Sapele Neck w/Ebony Fingerboard w/1-11/16″ Nut Width
- Taylor Expression System 2 Electronics
- Full Shaded Edgeburst Gloss Finish, Chrome Tuners, Ebony Bridge w/Micarta Saddle, and Tusq Nut
- Includes Deluxe Hardshell Case.
IMPORTANT FEATURES –
- Taylor ES2 electronics with Phase feedback filter
- Includes deluxe hard-shell case
- All Hawaiian koa construction
- Shaded Edge Burst finish
Like a fine wine, the Taylor 224ce-K DLX only gets better with age. This acoustic-electric guitar’s all-koa body will reach new levels of richness, sweetness, and resonance as this instrument ages. Of course, the 224ce-K DLX’s eminently comfortable Sapele neck ensures that it plays for a long, long time. When using guitars for bluegrass music, it is important that you check and get the basics right first. So, if that is the case, then you can check out best guitar theory books.
When it’s time to perform, ES2 electronics produce a top-notch amplified tone. In addition to its stunning koa body, the 224ce-K DLX also features gorgeous black binding, a single-ring faux pearl rosette with interlocking “fishbone” pattern, and Italian acrylic, small diamond fingerboard inlays.
Points to be noted while buying guitars for bluegrass
Looking for a guitar for oneself could feel like a choice of a lifetime and it requires a lot of effort in order to find the guitar which suits you the best.
When looking to buy a new guitar, there are a lot of things one needs to think about before one does so. Nothing is different for bluegrass guitars as well. But we have some tips for you that might come in just helpful. Give a look at our list:
- Proper research never hurts. Gaining knowledge about the various types of bluegrass guitars on the basis of its price range, brand, models.
- Talk to someone knowledgeable in the field of playing the guitars. A musician would bring a great level of insight with regard to the specific use of a guitar.
- Be patient in the quest to find the guitar of your choice. Try out every option in order to make an informed decision.
- Make sure the guitar you pick is comfortable for you in the long run because we usually pick guitars based on their quality of sound rather than the comfort, we have with it.
Choosing the right Bluegrass Guitar
If you followed our guide till now, it will now be hassle-free and straightforward for you to make a decision which guitar you’ll buy for yourself or as a shocking gift for somebody else, whether you’re knowledgeable or a learner.
The list above is extremely comprehensive and covers the simplest bluegrass guitars available today. Make sure that the guitar’s features cater to your taste and preferences which you compare the specifications and features of every instrument.
In all the guitars we tested to give you the list of the best bluegrass guitar we found the Taylor 214ce as the best. It is a wonderful sounding guitar with a very attractive and quality craftsmanship is no less than a masterpiece.
You’ll now flaunt your musical talent and skill with a replacement instrument. With all the fundamentals covered, you’re able to enter into the wondrous bluegrass music world. You ought to start practising your flawless technique and immaculate style. you’ll sound spectacular once you play music on your new instrument and find out how suitable it’s for you.
We hope you enjoyed the list, if you have any doubts or questions feel free to ask them in the comments and we’ll answer them as soon as we can.